Zucchini Rolls with Herbed Beans
Late summer means lots of zucchini in gardens and at farmers’ markets. We turned to holistic nutritionist and editor of the food blog Healthful Pursuit, Leanne Vogel, for an innovative recipe highlighting this versatile squash. This gourmet dish will get rave reviews from guests and is perfect to bring to parties.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise at ¼-inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup sultana raisins
- ⅛ cup cooked white beans, mashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons raw pine nuts, toasted and divided
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Slice zucchini lengthwise and lay flat on a baking sheet.
- Coat with olive oil, spreading the oil on all of the zucchini slices with your fingers.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and place in the oven set to high broil. Broil for 10 minutes, or until zucchini is slightly charred. Remove and allow to cool.
- Place pine nuts in a small pan and set in the heated oven with the broil set to low and toast for 5 minutes, until lightly brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and add half of the toasted pine nuts once they've cooled. Mash with a fork until fully combined.
- Once zucchini has cooled, place 1 strip on a clean plate. Then, place a tablespoon or so of the bean mixture at the larger end of the zucchini. Roll up as you would a California roll.
- Lay on a second plate either on its side or standing up.
- Repeat with remaining zucchini strips and serve with a sprinkle of remaining toasted pine nuts.