Drinking Your Sunblock?
Thanks, Sarah Britton, holistic nutritionist, for sharing this awesome recipe for sun-protecting, antioxidant-packed lemonade. We agree that drinking your nutrients is a great way to go.
Goji berries, or wolfberries, are small, red dried fruits that are supercharged with antioxidants. Scoring high on the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) scale means that goji berries will more effectively neutralize free radicals, slow the oxidative process, and prevent the free-radical damage caused by sun exposure. This drink includes fresh ginger as well, which is also incredibly high in antioxidants. If you like it spicy, add more!
I remember back in school one of my professors talking about a similar beverage she would enjoy in the summer, saying it was like drinkable sunblock. What a concept! Whipping up this fast and delicious beverage before heading out to the beach is a great way to up your intake of antioxidants (although it does not replace sunscreen), while refreshing yourself and your family. Sun protection never tasted so good!
- 2 Tbsp goji berries (available at natural products stores)
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tsp ginger root, freshly grated
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Raw honey to taste (optional)
- açaí berry powder,
- vanilla bean,
- raw cacao powder,
- fresh peppermint,
- golden raisins,
- raw cranberries,
- Soak goji berries in water for at least one hour to soften. Pour goji berries and soak water into a blender with remaining ingredients; blend on high until completely mixed.
- Pour into a glass with plenty of ice and lemon slices.